Thursday 20 August 2009

In the beginning ...

Thought it might be interesting to walk you through the formation of a
novel from start to finish...

Have begun re-outlining my novel today, starting with a basic sentence
summarising the overall plot in one short sentence:

"A lawyer raises his profile by defending a teacher accused of raping a
female student."

Went on from there to expand the idea into a paragraph:

"Mark Burrows is a young married lawyer, anxious to get ahead in his firm. When a family friend (a teacher at the local elementary school) is charged with raping a female student, Mark takes on the case. He and his wife become victims of street violence, vandalism, abuse, and so on. Add to that the fact that his client is desperate to plead guilty. His case, his friendship and even his marriage are falling apart. Only when it is discovered that [have deleted this final sentence...want to preserve "some" suspense, don't really want to give away the ending in a public
forum, LOL].

I'm using what's called the "Snowflake Method" (http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php) to help with the process...will let you all know how it goes, and hopefully this will help flesh out the plot a little more before I begin the official writing.

Of course, I do know a bit about the plot at the moment, it borrows heavily from an as-yet-unfinished novel of mine entitled "Wolf Cries", but thought I might have a go at re-writing the story looking more at the journey of the lawyer, as opposed to the perpetrator. (Have been reading a lot of John Grisham recently...perhaps it's starting to seep
into my subconscious, LOL). Certainly not interested in creating a Grisham "rip-off", I can still bring my own unique style to the novel, but it's still interesting to think about how what you read informs what you write.

In any case, there's not much more to tell at this point. As promised, I will continue to keep you "in the loop" as to how it all goes. And of course, even if no-one ever reads this ;) I will still have a record of it for myself for posterity.

Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment