Sunday 30 August 2009

A breakthrough...

Stumbled upon a wonderfully helpful tidbit of information today. Came across a book by Dwight Swain entitled "Techniques of the Selling Writer" which mentions the notions of what he refers to as MRUs, or Motivation-Response Units. There's also mention of Scenes and Sequels, a technique for writing "scenes" which is good, but the MRUs are literally where it's at for great writing.
If you're interested, I'd suggest finding out a little more about it yourself (I don't have space or time to go into it here), but suffice it to say, it has made the writing process a whole lot easier than previously, and in fact, I was able to get through the entire rape scene today. It's done and dusted, and it reads well, though the content is less than savoury of course; but nonetheless, it is good writing.
Enough for now, I need to get back to work. I'm loving MRUs right now! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment